Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Getting to know Charm City


Each time I travel to Baltimore, I fall more and more in love with the city! Its still sinking in that I will actually be living there in a matter of months. So I thought I'd share with you some Baltimore fun facts so you know more about where I'm going (and maybe even convince you come visit me there sometime!)
 
Baltimore's nickname is "Charm City". In the 1975, the Mayor of Baltimore was nervous about the reputation the city was getting, so he called in some of the top ad agencies in Baltimore to promote the city in a better light. In those meetings, one of the writers, Bill Evans is quoted in saying, "Baltimore has more history and unspoiled charm tucked away in quiet corners than most American cities out in the spotlight." And from there, they developed the Charm City branding.

Baltimore is a city of great American history.
Baltimore is listed as one of 9 cities that were once the capital of the United States. From December 1776 - February 1777 the Second Continental Congress met in Baltimore,out of fear that Philadelphia would be overtaken by the British, making it the capital of the US for the time. (How cool?!)
The national anthem was written in the Baltimore harbor by Francis Scott Key in 1814 while watching the bombardment of Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812.
During the Civil War, Maryland did not secede from the Union even though it relied heavily on slave work in sugar production (which was a major industry for the state at the time). This made the Union nervous, so they occupied part of the city on Federal Hill (the landmark of the neighborhood we'll be planting in) and pointed canons at the business district to ensure they stayed loyal to the Union.

Baltimore is a city of diverse culture and is home to people from many different nationalities. Baltimore is home to almost 40 museums (including a pinball museum! Who knew?) The city has a vibrant arts and music presence.

The city is home to the Orioles and Ravens, two of sports' favorite teams named after birds (they could beat a Seahawk any day!) It is also the home of some sports greats like Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken, Jr, and Michael Phelps.

Baltimore has so much good food! Their local delicacy is the blue crab. They eat crab and Old Bay seasoning on everything. One of my personal favs is crab dip on a soft pretzel or even on a burger. This week, my friend Austin said he tried a mocha with Old Bay on it. I don't know about that one, but it just shows you how much they love the stuff!

Because of it's a port city, Baltimore has a love for boating and other maritime activities. You can even ride a "Chessie Monster" (a paddle boat) in the Inner Harbor.

The first dental school was started in Baltimore, so you can credit your straightened teeth to Baltimore!

The umbrella was first introduced to the US through Baltimore and the country's first umbrella factory.

The first Catholic cathedral in the US was built in Baltimore in 1821 and became a symbol for America's religious freedom.
 
I could go on and on. Like anywhere, the best way to learn more about a city is to go there! So, next time you're on the East Coast, stop by and I'll show you around. Be sure to come for a Sunday so you can experience The Foundry once it starts too!

I am so excited about what God is doing in Baltimore and that he is letting me be part of it!
 If you'd like to partner with me in my ministry in Baltimore, you can join my prayer team and sign up for my email updates here. If you'd like to partner with me financially go here and select "Baltimore City Project" and "Lindsay Ferguson" If you'd like to meet with me to hear more about The Foundry or what I'll be doing in Baltimore, shoot me a message. I'd love to meet with you!

Til Next Time,
LindsFerg

No comments:

Post a Comment